Learning Resource Centre (LRC)
Lower school library
The library is open from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm every day. All reception to year 6 children have one timetabled library visit every week with their class teachers to develop a love of reading and to promote a daily reading session.
The lower school library holds a variety of texts:
- Books (fiction, early reader, EYFS, beginners, non-fiction and reference)
- Big Books (fiction, non-fiction and reference)
- Dual language
- Picture books
Ways to help your child enjoy reading
- Read with your child every day and ask questions about the book.
- Check your child has an understanding of what they are reading e.g do they understand the meaning of words and are they able summarise what they have read?
- Encourage your child to engage a variety of different text e.g fiction, non-fiction, newspapers, radio, audio stories and comics.
Events and clubs
Children from reception to year 6 are also invited to join library clubs and activities that encourage creativity, friendship and social skills. The Lower school library is currently running the following clubs:
- Colouring club -Reception (from Autumn term 2)
- Lego club- Year 1 and 2
- Papercraft Club- Year 3 and 4
- Games club-Year 5-6
We often celebrate literary events where the children have an opportunity to attend author, artists visits, themed class activities and educational workshops and as well as a wide range of creative activities.
The Lower school have had a busy 2017-18 spring and summer term where we celebrated the following events:
World Book Day (whole school event)
Summer Book Fair(Lower school)
Akabolum (A celebration of diversity and culture)
Roald Dahl Day (whole school event)
Black History Month (All Aboard the Empire Windrush assembly and workshop)
We hope to have an exciting 2018-19 and continue to engage all in reading and literacy.