Careers Education, Information Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) makes a major contribution to preparing young people for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life in order to help them make a successful transition to adulthood.
Preston Manor School aims to achieve this rationale through the following objectives:
- Supporting young people to achieve their full potential
- Empowering young people to plan and manage their own futures
- Enabling young people to develop employability skills
- Providing comprehensive information on all transition options
- Raising aspirations
- Promoting equality, diversity, social mobility and challenging stereotypes
- Meeting statutory duties to ensure that there is an opportunity for a range of education and training providers to access all pupils in years 8 to year 13 for the purpose of informing them about approved technical education qualifications or apprenticeships. (See Preston Manor School: Provider Access Policy)
At Preston Manor, all students have the right to access free and impartial career information and guidance and also have the opportunity to gain experience of the world of work.
Our careers programme is delivered through Careers related PSHE lessons, career events and programmes as part of their Personal Development well-being curriculum throughout their time at Preston Manor.
There is an individual careers focus for a group each year that is built into our careers programme:
The CEIAG programme provided at Preston Manor uses *The Gatsby Benchmarks, a framework set out for schools to deliver ‘good career guidance’. To further enhance our provision, we use the Careers Development Institute (CDI) Framework to support the delivery of our careers programme, and we also have an Independent Careers advisor who carries out individual guidance interviews with our students.
We welcome employers, training providers, colleges and universities into our school for assemblies, careers events/talks and training activities. If you are interested in supporting in any way please contact our Careers Lead, Ms Nyakeru, whose contact information is below.
Telephone Number: 0208 385 4040
Useful CEIAG links for parents
There are many websites with advice, guidance and information on careers, further education, higher education and apprenticeships to help you support your child.
Please find the links below with more information to support your research:
- National Careers Service
- Careerpilot Parent Zone
- Careerpilot Year 7 – Year 12 information
- GCSE Information
- Apprentice advice for parents
- T – Levels
- UCAS Post 16 information
- Labour Market Information: This tells you about the workplace or labour market. LMI is a useful tool to support you in researching future jobs in the local area and understanding the skills needed for certain roles and the demand for future jobs.
Our CEIAG events
- Year 10 Suited and Booted: Year 10 Students get the opportunity to dress up in their best workwear to participate in a mock interview.
- Careers Skills Fair: Developing employability skills to better prepare for jobs and post 16 interviews.
- Bridge the Gap: The School of Medicine and Dentistry at Queen Mary University runs the Bridge the Gap programme. Preston Manor students from Year 7 – 13 have been taking part in hands-on activities to give them a taste of medicine and dentistry as career options. Preston Manor has had successful students gain a place at the School of Medicine and Dentistry at Queen Mary University to become doctors and dentists.
- Year 11 Careers Fairs: Year 11 students have the opportunity to meet representatives from further education, high education, apprenticeships and professionals from a range of careers, to get a better understanding of the full range of opportunities that are available to them.
- Careers Events: Careers Events that give students multiple opportunities to learn from employers and representatives from further and higher education.